Thursday, November 14, 2013

It Has Been A While...

Brothers,

I apologize for my long leave from the blog! This semester has sped by me. Since my last post, there is a long list of things that have come and gone. Here are a few highlights:

The weekend of September 28th, I traveled to The University of Arkansas with my sister, Emily Murphree, TBSigma SWD Sec/Treas. We woke up early Saturday morning and journeyed to Fayetteville to watch the Arkansas Razorbacks take on the Texas A&M Aggies and, of course, listen to the band perform! Though the day was a little rainy, the game was a blast and the Psi and Lambda chapters were fantastic hosts!! :)


After the game, Emily and I began our drive back to stay in Durant, OK. We owe a big thank you to Andi Gregory and Taylor Walker from the Eta Nu chapter for housing is for the night.

Unloading the HPU Band Trailer with some brothers.
The next weekend was Howard Payne University Homecoming!! As we all know, homecoming is a band members craziest weekend. We had a choir concert at 9AM, a parade at 11AM, and exhibition at 12PM, then we had the game. We played Louisiana College, an undefeated ranked team at the time. For those who do not know, football at HPU has had a hard time the past few years. We haven't had the best seasons. However, this year, HPU began to show promise. We played this team all the way to the last play. LC lead by three and we were lined up for our last play. It was a long field goal and the wind was for us. Once we kicked, however, it was clear we had lost. Though it was a bummer, that was the best HPU football game I have ever been to. 

During our homecoming halftime performance!
I am the furthest in the back.
After homecoming, Zeta Beta and Delta Upsilon worked the next two Saturdays on a large service project. We were asked to run an help host a marching festival and the UIL Region Marching Contest held at Early High School. We were guides for the band, helped with concessions, supplied water for the bands, and tended to the judges in the press box. These events helped us bond and serve together. We had a wonderful time! Besides that, Zeta Beta has hosted three rush events and has been actively recruiting new members! We will host our last and formal rush on the 25th of November. 

Outside of the fraternity, I have been slaving away to prepare for my senior recital. My hearing was on November 1st and went very well!! I passed and will perform my recital in two days!!!!! It is scheduled for November 16th at 2:30. If you are free, come hear some great music on Howard Payne Campus.

Workshop season in coming up soon and I hope to see a lot of brothers representing their chapters. Keep striving and never settle for mediocrity. Finish out the semester strong!

AEA,
Allen Andrus
SWD VP

No comments:

Post a Comment