Saturday, December 28, 2013

A glance back, a look ahead.

I will never march again. 

That's a strange, not-quite-completely-absorbed truth in my life. Though I didn't have the opportunity to march in (my teeny tiny) high school, college band has composed and influenced so much (realistically: all) of these last 5 years. Band gave me my closest friends, countless trips across the country, hundreds of dollars of per diem, 3 bowl games, innumerable sporting event admissions, some homemade memes, leadership experience, Kappa Kappa Psi, my Brothers, my Sisters, and memories that fill both Facebook albums and a lifetime.

Some Lambda Bros at my last Little Rock game
I think sometimes about calculating the hours I have dedicated to something like football games. But, that's harder that simple addition and multiplication. How can I account for the mornings we had to be at the pavilion at 6:00 AM because construction hindered our ability to unload the trucks the previous night? How do I consider the hours spent in traffic with all the band equipment on years we were good at football or to and from away games? Does the load/unload process count the same when conditions were miserable and when we were having a blast?

It was a lot of time, but it was unquestionably well spent. Nothing can replace the experience I've gained and the opportunities I've seized. I will never again wear that uniform, but I will always have a sense of place and identity in the RMB, and of course in this great fraternity.

I'm proud to have dedicated my utmost to the Razorback Marching Band and to have served in the Lambda Chapter.

And now, to look forward to a new chapter!

With the time-suck of marching season complete, I can really get cracking on the goals and plans within the SWD. I'm working with the webmaster for a new way to spread fundraiser ideas as well as post minutes from council meetings. We have some small fundraisers in the works to honor Dale Croston and his family. Most of all, I'm thrilled with my lighter school schedule that allows for traveling almost every weekend. I'm itching to get on the road! I'll be stocked up with homemade granola and awesome podcasts to keep me company and fill my brain.

So. Excited.

Comin' at ya, SWD! See you soon. ; ]

No comments:

Post a Comment